Outcomes And Indicators
On April 5, 2017, The Austin City Council affirmed a vision and six outcome areas to guide the city over the next 3 to 5 years. Within each of these six outcome areas, teams of City staff will develop strategies to make progress, along with indicators to measure success. These outcome areas provide a framework for organizing and managing the City’s portfolio of smart city projects. And once they are developed, we will use the strategies to achieve the outcomes as a way to prioritize smart city projects for funding, resourcing, and troubleshooting.
Below is a summary of the strategic outcomes. More information on the outcomes and strategic planning process is available here.
Our Strategic Outcomes
Together we strive to create a complete community where every Austinite has choices at every stage of life that allow us to experience and contribute to all of the following outcomes:
- Economic Opportunity and Affordability: Having economic opportunities and resources that enable us to thrive in our community.
- Mobility: Getting us where we want to go, when we want to get there, safely and cost-effectively.
- Safety: Being safe in our home, at work, and in our community.
- Health: Enjoying a sustainable environment and a healthy life, physically and mentally.
- Cultural and Learning Opportunities: Being enriched by Austin’s unique civic, cultural, ethnic, and learning opportunities.
- Government that works: Believing that city government works effectively and collaboratively for all of us—that it is equitable, ethical and innovative.
For each outcome area, we will measure and report on Austin’s progress using a number of metrics – some collected by the City and some collected by other organizations. These metrics will focus on the key indicator areas identified under each outcome below. In addition to ensuring that they meet criteria for effective performance measurement, we will also strive to develop metrics that provide insights into the degree to which Austin’s performance in that area is equitable, affordable, and innovative.